Thursday, March 31, 2005

Happy Birthday, Chris Walken

It’s my favorite actor’s birthday today, so of course I will pay tribute to the man in my blog. I met Chris in 2001, as you might know, and have since spoken to him over the phone a few times. So, for me, he’s a very real person, not just this huge iconic movie star. It’s hard to believe the man is 62, what a life he’s led so far. Chris has been in showbusiness all his life. His mother Rosalie got him and his brothers into the world of live TV back when television was being born in New York.


(Naked City, 1963)

Since then, Chris has done lots of theater and of course over 100 films. He is probably one of the most impersonated people as his voice and rhythms are so unique. But, aside from his legendary place in movie history, Chris is just a good person.

A little birthday anecdote about Chris: He had this joke he played on people on the set of several movies. He pretended to be a little down and depressed. Finally someone from the cast or crew would ask him what was wrong. He would candidly say, “Well, it’s my birthday today and nobody remembered, just feeling a little down I guess…but, promise you won’t tell anyone.” Of course by the time they would break for lunch, there would be cake and other goodies available. Eventually, word got around, so now he can’t pull that particular prank anymore. He’s moved on to other pranks of course. Many people don't know Chris as a "funny guy" but he really does have a great sense of humor.


(Weapon Of Choice video for Fatboy Slim, 2001)

Last time I spoke to Chris, he told me his mom was near 100. His father also lived to near 100. I am hoping that he’s inherited their longevity and we’ll see a lot of Chris for years to come.


(Aug. 2001, Fan Club Reception)

Happy Birthday, kiddo. All the best from a really big fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home