Friday, April 15, 2005

Frozen Cakes


5th Birthday Cakes
Originally uploaded by candy.
Back in January, Ethan turned 5. We rented the clubhouse and planned a big party, invited his whole class and all his playgroup friends. I painstakingly made two cakes for the party, a vanilla "Herbie" car and a chocolate police car. Four 1/2 cake mixes and four hours later, my project was complete. (I also made 20 cupcakes for school from some of the batter leftover)

Then, outside, it started to rain... and get cold... and turn to solid ice. For the third time in Ethan's little life, his birthday party had to be put on hold due to weather. (you'd think that I'd learn!)

I looked at my two creations and thought, "damn, they're useless now!" But someone told me to go ahead and freeze the cakes and they'd be fine. I boxed them up and sealed them in plastic, put one in my freezer and the other in the neighbor's freezer. I got them out the day before the party and let them thaw in the refrigerator, praying that they'd be edible.

Let me tell you, it was possibly the best cake I've ever tasted. Something about freezing them for a week and thawing them out and it made them moist and decadent. (much more than the cupcakes made a week prior from the same batter)

At the party, several of the adults mentioned that they wanted the name of the cake mix I used. It was just plain old Duncan Hines, I assured them. Then, my friend Cindy piped up and said that her wedding cake was frozen and it was very very good too. From now on, I will be freezing cake before I eat it. Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home