Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Still a Duranie after all these years

Yes, I grew up in the 80s. When I was 10 or 11 years old, I heard the song "Is There Something I Should Know" and I was hooked. Soon, I owned every teen magazine that there was, and all the images of Simon, Nick, Roger, John and Andy were plastered onto my wall. Yup.


In 1984, Duran Duran had a huge tour and came to Detroit. I was too young to drive to the mall and get tickets, and by the time Mom got around to it (which I suspect was sometime after pigs flew,) they were sold out. I didn't go. Heartbreak.

A few years later, I finally went to a Duran Duran-ish concert. Power Station, which had two members of the original band. Then, I actually saw Duran Duran, but without Andy and Roger.

Much later, in 1999, when I was pregnant with my first child, I went and saw Duran Duran in concert again, here in Charlotte. This time they had Warren Cucurillo in the band. Simon still looked great. Ever see a pregnant woman ogle at a singer? LOL. Shame on me, I'm a married woman! But, still, no Andy or Roger or John.


On July 20, all five Duran Duran members will play here in Charlotte. I plan to plunk down a couple hundred dollars for a VIP package this time. It includes, seats in the front, a party and h'orse d'ourves, and a chance (not a guarantee) to socialize with the band. With any luck, I will actually see all five members this time.

Some might think this is crazy behavior for a 33 year old grown married woman with kids. I think it's just my chance to reverse my disappointment from so long ago. I'll try to refrain from crying and fainting, though, which is what might have happened if I had gone in 1984.

5 Comments:

Blogger e3 said...

candy: "Some might think this is crazy behavior for a 33 year old grown married woman with kids."

not at all! have fun and kudos to you for letting yourself spend a little dough to do something fun!

coincidentally, i just happened to catch a view to a kill the other day ( don't ask ) and thought of you :-)

9:05 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

Well, I decided against the VIP package after all. It's way too expensive. If Jonathan and I both went, it would be $600, and I found out they only pick two members to acutally meet the band. Feh. I will be buying the presale tickets, though, which are rows 6-12, not too shabby.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

"coincidentally, i just happened to catch a view to a kill the other day ( don't ask ) and thought of you :-) "

Ah, a movie that links my favorite band with my favorite actor. :-)

10:10 AM  
Blogger e3 said...

i didn't know that grace jones was your favorite actor.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

Haaa. Very funny. There is some interesting trivia on the IMDB link for the movie. I didn't know that Bowie and Sting were considered for the role of Max Zorin before Walken was. (and yes, to anyone else who happens to read, Walken would be my favorite actor, not Grace Jones)Also, apparently, the Duran Duran song was the first and only James Bond theme to go to #1.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home